site image



March 16, 1928 ~ June 14, 2018 (age 90)

The story of Harry Edwin Moe. A journey of 90 years begins in Sandpoint, Idaho on March 16, 1928 when he became the first son of Harry and Viola Moe. And his journey would end in the arms of his children in the home that he built on Thursday June 14, 2018.

  But Oh what an incredible and amazing life he had. His parents moved him and his little brother Lloyd to Libby, Montana at the age of 4, where he and Lloyd became part of the gang called the South Libby Boys. Harry made lifelong friends from that neighborhood.

  He did his schooling in Libby and would leave school at the age of 17 to join the Navy towards the end of World War II. He was a F2-C. He served aboard two US Naval Ships, his favorite being the USS Cecil as a Fireman Second Class in the boiler room.

  After his Service he returned to Libby and continued his education and graduated from high school in 1947.  He began his career at J. Neils Lumber Company as a logging truck driver for several years. He later became one of the top crane operators for the mill for over 31  years. He was known as the Bear for his toughness, orneriness and fearlessness when he worked in the woods. If you hauled for the Bear, you better be dependable, reliable, or you would get a piece of his mind!

  On February 24, 1969, Harry loaded the largest load of logs to ever come out the Fisher River drainage, on Snell Creek. The load weighed in at 208,000 pounds, for a scale of 24,000 board feet - enough lumber to build three 1,200 -square- foot homes! Harry said, “Big logs always attract attention.  When you put 18 of them on one truck, they look spectacular, even to a logger. That is a lot of wood!”

  Harry was beyond proud of the job he and logging truck driver Dick Schrade did that day; always made him smile with pride to talk about it. It was something we will never see again.

  At the age of 22 he met a cute little brown eyed girl by the name of Irene Jaros, they would marry on August 20, 1950 and their union would last 67 years. They built their first home together and as the family grew Harry started on their second home which took several years to build because he paid for it as he built it. It was the home his children grew up in, their grandchildren would enjoy and he and Irene were blessed to leave for heaven from that home.

  Harry and family spent a ton of time up Fisher River camping, fishing, and hunting.  There were tons of fish fries, fried taters and onions. He was made to be in the outdoors. There are many wonderful pictures of Rick and Ron with their dad with trophies from hunting and fishing. Also many fun times dancing with his girls in the kitchen. There was lots of laughter and silliness in the Moe house.

  After the kids were grown, Harry and Irene started the BINGO circuit! They had a blast. They always had to leave any event to get to BINGO early enough to get their flimsies. (Bingo talk). They actually did quite well. They loved it and their time together. They won a suite at the Bonners Ferry Casino once with a hot tub in the room. Irene took a great picture of Harry in the hot tub wearing nothing but a smile and a cowboy hat; the picture makes all of us smile.

  Harry loved his walks with the dogs and he always had a pocket full of doggy cookies, for his and other pups that came along.

  After the loss of the love of his life Irene in October of 2017, Harry needed help because his dementia was taking over his mind and his legs didn’t work like he needed. His children chose to move into his home and into his world. With dementia any change can be devastating. And the loss of his wife was more than he could handle. His children took turns staying with him 24/7. They all learned his routine, his habits and his card game. As things worsened his children figured out how to conquer any issues. This was an extra special time that was given not only to Harry but also his children. Not only did they take care of their father, they also took care of each other. Their time with him was eight months and eight days and they are all so grateful for that precious time.

  Harry is preceded in death by his wife Irene, his son Harry Moe Jr., his father Harry Moe, his mother Viola Moe Karnes, and his step father Clairence Karnes and his brother Lloyd Moe and granddaughter Tera Lynn Lippert.

  Survivors include children Yvonne Resch (John), Libby; Susan Lippert (Ralph) Troy; Tina Thompson (Bob) Libby; Rick Moe (Kelli) Coeur d’Alene; Ron Moe (Patty) Libby;  11 grandchildren, Kimber, Tina, Tyann, Shana, Steve, Lindsey, Erin, Aaron, Alex, Elise and Chelcie; and 26 great grandchildren.

  Services will be at 2:00 pm, Saturday June 23, 2018, at the Assembly of God, Libby, Montana, followed by Military graveside honors. Lunch and stories will follow at Libby VFW Post 1548. 

  Donations can be made to the Libby Volunteer Ambulance. Online condolences and memories may be shared at

© 2019 Schnackenberg Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS